Friday, February 13, 2009

The grass is always greener....

...when you mow and water it :)

Josh and I have been very proud of the work we've put into our front lawn. Several weeks ago we decided to put some rye grass down on our front lawn so that it would take the bermuda grass better when it was time (we didn't have much grass on the lawn at all and the soil wasn't great- and no, we did not know this about soil and grass...someone smarter told us). We thought we'd test it out on the front yard before we went crazy with the backyard. Here's our lawn from when we moved in:

(although it is the dormant season and the grass is supposed to be brown, we just had mostly weeds, so someone told us it would be wise to "prime" the soil with rye grass over the winter)

here's the lawn several weeks later:

It looks like it might need a haircut!

We have had a very nice handyman mow our lawn once before, but we did a little math (thanks for the math tutoring, Mrs. T ;)) and discovered it might be best if we bought our own lawnmower. I really did not want to own such a piece of equipment, but I understand how it makes sense. Yesterday was a big and exciting day for Josh! Knowing nothing about important properties in a lawn mower to have, we bought one of our own.

look at him reading the manual! I'm so proud :)

He had it put together in a few minutes

And off it goes!

The finished product: Ta da!

While Josh mowed the lawn I put together my seedling starter kit (or whatever you call it) to make an herb and vegetable garden. Of course I wanted to grow everything available to me in the store, but decided to just start out with a few being that I've never done this before ;) We will be attempting to grow thyme, sage, basil, cilantro, green onions, tomatoes, cucumbers, zucchini, and dahlia's (for a little color). We have various parts of our yard where there is shade only, sun only and a mixture of shade and sun, so we hope it will be a great and fun success!

Edgar really wants to be like the big boys- here he is trying to get onto Josh's and Bo's level :)

Of course Edgar wanted to be just like his old man, so he thought he'd do a little tinkering with his lawn mower (a.k.a. the dust buster!)

See below:


No comments:

Post a Comment