Friday, November 21, 2008

With Thanksgiving

Lately Josh and I have had many of our upcoming adventures heavy on our minds- moving, finishing school, starting a new job, being able to take time off for the holidays, and the list goes on. Some days it is very easy to see how blessed we are and other days we find ourselves selfishly grumbling and thankless.

This morning in my quiet time, I really was able to "turn back to praise" every blessing God has provided us recently and in the past- it was certainly not on my own strength that I was able to do this.

The passage I read (Deuteronomy 26) was so appropriate considering the situation Josh and I have found ourselves in (finding it so easy to grumble and point out where things are not as we'd like them rather than focusing on the land of milk and honey that God has provided for us).

Verses 8 -10 remind us of where we came from: "So the Lord brought us out of Egypt with a mighty hand and an outstretched arm, with great terror and with miraculous signs and wonders. He brought us to this place and gave us this land, a land flowing with milk and honey; and now I bring the first fruits of the soil that you, O Lord, have given me."

Verses 17-19 remind us of who we are in Him: "You have declared this day that the Lord is your God and that you will walk in his ways, that you will keep his decrees, commands and laws, and that you will obey him. And the Lord has declared this day that you are his people, his treasured possession as he promised and that you are to keep his commands. He has declared that he will set you in praise, fame, and honor high above all the nations he has made and that you will be a people holy to the Lord your God, as he promised."

Me- a treasured possession? Much like the Israelites, I often forget God's covenant promises to me and all that he has done and will do in the future. His promises and provisions are certainly something to turn back to praise!

1 Peter 2:9, "But you are a chosen people, a royal priesthood, a holy nation, a people belonging to God, that you may declare the praises of him who called you out of darkness into his wonderful light."

Although we do not deserve these wonderful eternal blessings, join us in declaring his praises and "enjoying him by glorifying him forever" during this Thanksgiving season and all the year long.

No comments:

Post a Comment