Motherhood has been more humbling than I could have imagined- in a good way though. Not in a tail between my legs kind of way, rather, I am humbled and enlightened and move on having learned something new!
Many days I find myself getting to the end of the day and asking myself "what did I do with my day?!" I know full well I have done plenty, it's just not the kind of day I'm used to- and I like it!
We are getting into somewhat of a routine here- and by routine, I mean I'm trying to figure out how long it takes me to shower or have breakfast in between feedings! I love that we are learning how Cameron likes things and how he doesn't like things. For example, we have struggled to make bathtime and changing times pleasant for him. But he's telling us what he likes and doesn't like-he just has a different way of communicating!
Two years ago when we were thinking about starting a family I shared with Josh one morning that I had a dream about pushing a stroller, wearing stretch pants, and carrying a latte. He laughed and refers to it often. Especially because a few months later, as I was exploring our new neighborhood with Teddy, I had the closest thing to that and it wasn't too glamorous- I was wearing the stretch pants and carrying the latte, but walking a dog who pulled every direction and spilled my latte all over the sidewalk while trying to pick up poop and then lost the leash when I was trying to take a "for sale" flyer out of a bin on the street! When I got home I just had to laugh and tell him how it went.
....Well, today I had one of those days. I had my day all planned out- a nice, long walk in the morning, followed by some productive "to-do's", attending an infant massage class at 2, followed by a Dr's appointment and errands on base. \
This is how the day really unfolded:
A nice, hot/muggy walk, followed by Cameron deciding he wanted to eat every hour instead of every 2...then I'm not sure where the rest of the morning went but I do remember eating my lunch standing over the sink before rushing out the door to get to infant massage class early so that I could nurse cam before the class began. Well, I showed up to the class early and tried very hard to wake him up to eat (after all, it had been 2 hours and he had been eating every hour!) and couldn't get him awake, class starts and all of the babies are undressed for the massage class and Cam begins wailing in hunger. Cam enjoyed a nice 40 minute snack throughout the entire class :). We proceeded to rush to the appointment we were going to be late for only to find out the doctor was running late. Cameron was still hungry, so I decide to start feeding him- 2 minutes later they call me back to take my vitals! There I am, sitting on the table trying to relax to have my BP taken while Cameron and I are both sweating and beat red from rushing around and Cameron is happily nursing away...then the dr. walks in and proceeds to freeze warts off of my foot (while having me stick my foot way up high in the air as I continue to nurse). He leaves the room and I have Cameron in my arms and one shoe off with a very sore foot. I of course didn't bring the stroller in my rushing and decided now would be a good time to change cam while I had a private room. I hopped off the table on one foot and hopped around the room with Cam gathering my things. I placed him on the plinth to change him (still on one foot) and despite my best efforts to keep him covered, old faithful began to squirt all over Cameron's outfit, into his eye, and onto me. I furiously tried to clean up (still on one foot) and began ripping the plinth paper. Thank goodness for Nanna's suggestion to always have an extra outfit in the diaper bag! So, there we were- both sweating still- covered in pee now, both frustrated (Cam screaming and me still hopping around on one foot in pain). I finally grabbed my sock and shoe to put it on, placed Cam in my Ergo carrier, and walked out the door as if nothing had happened- HA! So much for my errands! All that said, we came home to see Daddy for a few hours before he had to go flying all night and that made the rest of the cares of the day melt away. Honestly, I had to laugh, as I could tell the day just wasn't going to go MY way :). Humbling indeed.
Oh my gosh Whit that was too funny (as I see you can laugh about it now) old faithful...lol You guys had quite the day! I love that you were able to chuckle and write about it. I also loved the "stretchy pants, stroller, and latte" scenario :p too funny.
ReplyDelete