Thursday, October 9, 2008

A lesson in faithfulness

Hebrews 11: 1, "Now faith is being sure of what we hope for and certain of what we do not see."

Genesis 12: 1, "The LORD had said to Abram, 'Leave your country, your people and your father's household and go to the land I will show you."

Today I was reminded of my faithlessness to trust God's provision for our future and present circumstances and I was encouraged by His words to us.

It seems so easy and convenient these days to plan ahead for everything- and boy does that make me happy, as I gain much satisfaction from "certain" and "sure" plans. From websites that advertise rental homes in an area that we can't easily visit to recruiters that promise a plethora of jobs in an area I haven't even visited.

As many of you know, Josh and I will be relocating to Pensacola, FL in December. And, well, I think I might know more about Pensacola than I do the city we presently live in! I have researched veterinarians (for Edgar, of course), rental home availability/prices, area hospitals and other potential places to work, and the list goes on.

And while it would be so wonderful to know where we are going to live when we arrive to Pensacola, to have a job secured, to know where we might shop and take Edgar to the vet, I have left little room in our adventure for faith and trust in a holy, righteous, and sovereign God.

Why is it so easy to slip into this trap of trusting in our own plans? Proverbs 19:21 tells me, "Many are the plans in a man's heart, but it is the Lord's purpose that prevails."

I am not advocating for passivity, ignorance, or anything of the kind, however, I/we could use a lesson in trust and faith in situations such as these and I thought I would share how you can be praying for us in the coming months.

-Please pray that we would spend more time meditating on God's promises, knowing that his plans are always in our best interest (Hebrews 11:39-40 says, "These were all commended for their faith, yet none of them received what had been promised. God had planned something better for us so that only together with us would they be made perfect.")
-Pray for me as I attempt to achieve a balance between planning ahead and doing my "homework" (relating to my job search) and being willing to "pick up and go".

I never thought I'd say this, but Josh and I have decided not to sign a lease ahead of time or visit Pensacola (unless I am offered an interview opportunity). Therefore, we will be arriving in a place that we do not know and leaning on God as we begin this journey.

It is an exciting time for us, as well as an uncertain time in many respects, however, one thing is certain, and that is the knowledge of a faithful and sovereign God.

Our journey in the military has only just begun, but we can already see the Lord's masterful and unique plan for our life in the military as we learn to trust in him to be our Jehovah Jireh.

1 comment:

  1. Man, I sure do have a pretty great wife to be able to put into such beautiful words the circumstances we find ourselves!

    ReplyDelete