Monday, March 15, 2010

New Member Vows

This Sunday we took our new member vows at Christ Church PCA in Jacksonville. This was such an exciting time for Josh and I as we have longed for so long to join a church and become involved- while this has happened in small ways since we have been married, we have had a hard time getting connected because of work schedules, geographic reasons, and short stays. We are looking forward to beginning to volunteer with children's church, mentoring relationships with youth -hopefully beginning this summer with Adventure week (much like VBS), and fellowship with a small group. I write this to ask for your prayers as we seek direction from the Lord as to how he would have us serve in our new church.

Below are the "Membership Vows" that we took before the church this past Sunday:

1. As a sinner, I justly deserved God’s displeasure, and was lost and without hope in the world. Amazingly, God loved and pursued me in Christ. United by faith with him in his death and resurrection, I am now God’s beloved child.

2. Jesus Christ is the Son of God and the Lord of my life. I willingly serve him as my King, and surrender my life to the Lord who gave me life again.

3. Relying completely on the power of the Holy Spirit, I vow:

· To live a life consistent with that of a disciple of Jesus. I will seek Him in his Word and in worship, I will live a life of prayer, and I will use my time, talents, and treasures to serve Him in and through the ministries of his church.

· To submit to the care of the elder-shepherds of the church, honoring the spiritual authority of Christ who is the King of the church, and who cares for me through them.

· To guard my tongue, which has great potential for evil as well as for good within the body of believers. For the sake of the peace and purity of the church, I will avoid gossip and slander, will not “bear false witness against my neighbor, and will follow the Biblical processes of Matthew 18:15ff in my dealings with others. And if I fail to honor this pledge, I will seek out the one(s) I have offended in order to express repentance and seek forgiveness.


We thank you for your prayers and encouragement :)

No comments:

Post a Comment