Sunday, December 7, 2008

Our 1st camping trip

Josh and I have always wanted to go on a camping trip together once we were married- what we didn't know is that our first camping trip would be in our apartment!

Some may argue that this is not true camping, but it sure feels like it.

Friday morning at 10 am three movers came to pack and box up our stuff. They looked at me like I was crazy that we only had 3500 pounds worth of stuff (they ask you to estimate your shipment weight so they can estimate how long it will take to pack and ship)....well, at the end of the day we ended up having about that weight but they were not too happy about all the "little" things they had to individually wrap. I found it amusing the three things they decided to comment on while packing our belongings (my affinity for turtles, Josh's affinity for golf, and the amount of stuff we managed to fit in our small kitchen).

Josh was able to come home from work for the beginning of the packing and he tried to help them bring packing paper from the elevator and got scolded. I had to sit and supervise the movers all day but I wasn't allowed to touch a thing....pretty boring if I do say so (but somehow I felt as tired at the end of the day as I imagine I might have if I had packed everything up myself).

Well, enough of the boring details. We are very blessed that we did not have to move our belongings ourselves and we hope that it all arrives in one piece when we get to FL. All of our stuff will have to go into storage (as it will arrive before us and we don't have a place lined up to live yet).

We are hoping to have our shipment brought to our new place before the weekend (13th) so that we won't need to stay in a hotel through the weekend.


(Pre-packing madness)

(stuff we set aside to take in our cars)


(lots and lots of boxes...they moved our clothes in boxed wardrobes on hangers...I was fascinated!)


(all of the boxes stacked behind the couch were books...they called before coming to ask if we had a lot of books-I replied no thinking surely most other people had more books than we did...apparently we were wrong...they told me it was a lot of books and I replied, "a lot' is kind of a relative term you know...")


(our couch about to be shrink wrapped- they packed it better than it was packed when we had the couches delivered!)


(supervising with my feet up on the couch, a book in my lap and chips...I felt so guilty I couldn't really read).


(Almost everything packed..I was getting tired...I can only imagine the movers who do this 5 days a week!)

(sure looks like a mess!)

(Josh came home to find the TV and golf clubs still not packed...he got to say his last good-byes before they got wrapped up)



As for our bright idea to stay in our apartment with no stuff rather than staying in a hotel on the Navy...it has been interesting to say the least....much like a camping trip. After the movers left (at 7pm- after 9 hours of packing) we realized that we only had lights in our kitchen and bathroom....whoops! We have been having fun though....

sharing a cereal bowl...going to dunkin donuts...

sleeping on an air mattress



doing somersaults...



looking at the eclectic things we will be moving in the cars ourselves (the moving company can't move liquids that are opened, lightbulbs, batteries, chemicals, ammo, and maybe some other things too)...

Well, we leave tomorrow for Philadelphia so that I can't present my Master's research project and then we will be on our way!

Hope this finds you all well. Looking forward to seeing many of you for the holidays!


No comments:

Post a Comment